Monday, May 27, 2013

Happy Memorial Day

So far, I've picked 8 1/2 lbs of Sugar Snap Peas out of the garden. I'm so impressed with this variety of peas. Also, this year a nice little oops happened when I planted some annual ryegrass as cover crop. It didn't germinate until after I had planted the peas. So, the peas grew up with the ryegrass and that kept them cool and gave them some support. Next time I plant peas, I will do this again only I will wait to plant the ryegrass after the peas have sprouted so as to give the peas a head start.

The lettuce and other salad greens are there, but for some reason, they are very slow to grow. Not sure if it's the clay in the soil or that we've had a lot of rainy weather this spring. Potatoes were just hilled, and are looking good. A couple more weeks and they will be flowering and getting ready to makes tators.

The green beans were spotty, and so I've replanted most of one row. And the cowpeas (purple hull, and silver hull) were also spotty. I'll have to look and see if I have more seed to replant part of those rows as well. I think I planted the beans a little too early. 

The rest of the garden has been tilled a couple of times in preparation for the hot weather crops. Squash, pumpkin, peppers, tomatoes. I'm not sure what else I'll plant.


  The girls out on pasture.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment