Saturday, August 7, 2010

Life in the Fleece Lane

My little experiment with using the "magic" fleece basket worked! I soaked the fleece about 24 hours in water, did 1 hot water wash, and 2 hot water rinses. Not only did the lock structure stay intact, it was easy to clean. The next fleece I did, I soaked directly in my rainwater barrel that my hubby made for me while experimenting with trying to heat the rainwater with solar power. That worked even better because I could then drain the dirty water directly into the garden without much work.




Only one more fleece to wash and then I'm done. Yea! Just the lamb fleece to go. It's a beautiful chocolate color. I hope it stays that color once it has been spun, but ya never know.


Then it'll be on to spinning the wonderful top that I combed from the first fleece. A beautiful grey.


For a quick knit in between washing fleeces, I knit up a reusable produce bag. It's a very nifty little bag. All those yarn overs nearly drove me to not finish it. I think if I make another one, I'll just do a simple knit stitch all the way up so I don't get frustrated with all the yarn overs. I did use lace instead of the fingering weight yarn and that might have been part of my problem!

1 comment:

  1. I like your magic fleece basket and am glad it worked! I'd love to see how the chocolate color spins up! Your bag is great too. I did one of those once - a market bag. It was when I started knitting and there were a ton of SSKs. I had NO idea how to do that, and it was hard to figure out despite watching a bunch of youtube videos. Finally got it though! :) Pretty bag!

    ReplyDelete